Here are the rules and regulations:
1. The theme for the 20th International Editorial Cartoon Competition is:
Pulling the plug on social media
After a facing backlash over the publication of a cartoon deemed anti-Semitic, the New York Times stopped publishing editorial cartoons in their international publication. In August, India stripped Kashmir of its constitutional autonomy and isolated it from the world by cutting it off from the Internet. Thirty years after the fact, the Chinese are still kept in the dark about the Tiananmen Square massacres. Iran can claim, without risk of contradiction that its response to the attack on General Soleimani killed 80 American soldiers. Increasingly, we see that the powers in place do not suffer contradiction.
2. Three prizes will be awarded: a first prize of $1500 plus a Certificate from Canadian Commission for UNESCO, a second prize of $750 and a third prize of $500. All sums are in Canadian dollars. Ten additional cartoons will be recognized with an ‘Award of Excellence.’
3. Only one cartoon will be accepted from each cartoonist. It may be either in colour, or black and white and must not have previously won an award.
4. The size of the cartoon should not exceed A4; 21 by 29.2 cm; or 8.5 by 11 inches. Cartoons should be in jpeg format at 300 dpi.
5. The name, address, telephone number and a short biography of the cartoonist must be included in the submission.
6. The Canadian Committee for World Press Freedom shall have the right to use any of the cartoons entered for promotion of the Editorial Cartoon Competition.
7. The winners of the Cartoon Competition will be announced at the World Press Freedom Day luncheon to be held at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa on Tuesday May 5, 2020 and will be advised by e-mail. The winner’s names and their cartoons will be posted on this website.
8. The winning cartoons will be published in a program distributed at the luncheon.
The deadline for submission of entries is 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Daylight Time), Friday, March 27, 2020.
Send submissions by e-mail to: email@example.com